The Next Eco-Warriors
The Next Eco-Warriors is a book to be released this spring, April 22, 2011. In this collection of short stories by the next generation of eco-activist, they show that young people are waking up with new voices, new attitudes and new approaches to saving the world. Together, they are redefining what it means to be an eco-activist. But most importantly, The Next Eco-Warriors is more than a book, it is a movement, and we want this wordpress site to not only promote the book but the movement.
Editor Emily Hunter, daughter of Greenpeace co-founder Robert Hunter, introduces the readers to the creative and diverse global community of young people who are tackling issues of energy use, overconsumption, waste management, the disappearance of indigenous cultures and rainforest, and other urgent environmental/social concerns with a sense of passion and possibility.
Profiled in The Next Eco-Warriors is Peter Hammarstedt and Benjamin Potts of Sea Shepherd fame and co-stars of televisions Whale Wars; Enei Begaye, a Navajo/Diné activist bringing green jobs to the reservation; Rob Stewart, an award-winning filmmaker of Sharkwater; Jamie Henn, co-founder of 350.org; Wen Bo, founder of China’s Greenpeace; Tanya Fields, an urban farmer and poor people’s activist in New York City; and 15 other emerging leaders and their heroic work in the variety of green revolutions.
Demographic: 20's, global, usually has post-secondary education
Market: environment, youth, education
Interests: environment, climate change, rebels, revolution, change-making, heroism, activism
We want a site that is both a platform for promotion for the book, and the movement, specifically with promoting the eco-warriors who have written for the book.
LOOK & FEEL
- We would like the site to match the look and feel of the book cover, see attached. The theme should have a recycled paper look feel or earthy feel that's edgy, and has a air of rebellion or revolution. But don't copy the cover exactly, still want the theme to be distinctive.
- We would like it be young, punk-ish, hip and inviting, we leave it to your creativity
- Also, perhaps use photos of the eco-warriors in the theme to represent the contributors of the book and the new faces of the movement. See attached.
- We want the site to be as interactive as possible, with space for youtube videos, twitter and facebook feeds.
I need a Layered PSD file.
DO NOT WANT
- What we don't like is stereotypical and cliche nature designs, elements or shapes (such as butterflies, birds, panda bears and trees). However, I am open to the shape of the earth, warriors, leaves and roots elements in the design, if done in a modern and creative way.
We would like there to be 7 tabs on the top navigation bar:
-HOME - for the homepage, see attached layout document for specifics
-JOIN THE REVOLUTION