Gamegnat is a new startup with an ambitious plan: To provide the best gaming information in the most simple and elegant way possible.
We believe that current solutions are imperfect. Sites like IGN and Gamespot are overly cluttered, making navigation tedious at best and downright frustrating at worst. Google search results provide an increasing level of spam and irrelevant results. No solutions exist that simply let gamers get in, get out, and get back to gaming.
Yeah, we're changing that.
We're targeting gamers.
They're largely male (>60%), ages 18-30 (the majority), tech-savvy, and have an appreciation for aesthetic and design, having been spoiled by the increasing quality of video game graphics.
Our users will also be more "hardcore" than most. We're not talking Wii, we're talking XBOX 360, PS3, and PC gamers.
Gamegnat is seeking a new identity. Attached can be found our current logo. We believe that it does not properly capitalize upon the potential for the name; the typography isn't eye-catching and the icon lacks meaning.
The new logo should include the following:
"GAMEGNAT" (all caps) should be the main element of the design. People should see it and think: Sleek. Remember the audience... Video gamers judge games based on cover art. I'd like the text to be modern, and stylized in some manner.
"Get Back to Gaming" should be a smaller sub-text below the Gamegnat name. Take caution to assure legibility.
An icon should be included. It should fit within a square (as it will likely be used avatars on social sites). In the gaming realm, GG means good game, and is widely known. This is where creativity comes in: perhaps a clever and stylistic rendition of GG, perhaps a catchy interpretation of a gnat. Be creative... make it memorable.
Regarding the color palette: Do not think that you need to follow the colors seen in the attached file. You may choose whatever palette you believe works. However, the logo should have no more than three colors, and they should be easily changeable to fit whatever color scheme we ultimately choose. On a related note, I'd prefer a copy of the logo on both a light and dark background.
Some thoughts based on current submissions:
- Feel free to experiment with colors. There seems to be a huge preference for the bright blue/dark grey (likely because of the logo attached to the brief); You need not follow that color scheme.
- Generally speaking, I'd prefer the subscript ("Get back to gaming.") to be underneath, and the same span as, the primary Gamegnat typography.
- I'm a huge fan of creative typography, and am going to prefer submissions that do something with the Gamegnat text other than simply choosing a font. On a related note, squashed and very bold text doesn't do it for me (unless you feel like you're really onto something!).
- Keep in mind that we're seeking a shift AWAY from our current logo (attached to brief). We're not looking to update it, we're looking to reinvent it. Submissions that take design cues directly from it, then, will likely be met with displeasure!
- Above all, be creative! If you have an awesome, disruptive idea for the logo, give it a crack (even if it goes against one or more of the posted guidelines). These guidelines are based on my limited conception of what I'd potentially like. The benefit of a crowd-source model such as 99designs is that many people can display many interpretations!