The Professional Association for SQL Server (PASS) is an independent, not-for-profit association, dedicated to supporting, educating, and promoting the Microsoft SQL Server community. Run by an elected, volunteer Board of Directors, PASS serves a community of passionate SQL Server users around the world.
PASS’ mandate is to help fellow SQL Server users to connect, share and learn. Central to this goal are PASS-run conferences, ranging from free PASS SQLSaturday one-day training events to the new PASS SQLRally 2-day low cost training conference to the annual 3+ day PASS Summit, the largest gathering of SQL Server professionals in the world.
Building on the successes of the PASS Summit 2008 “SQL Server Heroes Unite”, PASS Summit 2009 “Unite” and PASS Summit 2010 “On Fire” conferences, we need to create a bold new logo for PASS Summit 2011.
The brand character for PASS Summit is:
Leading-edge, super-smart but very approachable, friendly, welcoming and helpful. Geek cool. Passionate about technology and about sharing information with others in the community. Both fun and professional. Extremely community-focused, friends helping friends.
Primary target market: IT Professionals who use Microsoft SQL Server Database and/or Business Intelligence products & services. Job titles include database administrators, database developers, data and data warehouse architects, system administrators, business intelligence specialists, IT Managers, IT Directors, CTO/CIO (Chief Technology Officer/Chief Information Officers) and consultants.
65/35 male/female, typically early 30s-mid/late 50s. Passionate about SQL Server and technology in general. Proud geeks. Analytical, problem-solvers, committed to their community.
Many but not all of our target audience will have heard of PASS or may already be PASS members. Attendees come from all over the world to attend this flagship conference.
Please see the attached creative brief for more info and examples of past logos.
• Name: PASS Summit
• Logo to be used on website, banner ads, print ads, email signatures, conference name badges, onsite signage, onsite collateral
• Must be flexible from a sizing perspective. For example, we do experience some difficulty using our current/past logo in all executions as it is quite large/complex/layered.
• Require both one color (B&W) and color versions.
• Required formats include but are not necessarily exclusive to: .eps, .gif, .jpg, .png
• Immediate follow-on requirements include website design. Preference will be given to the logo designer to bid on future design extensions.
• The new 2011 creative look and feel must continue to be bold, eye-catching and edgy.
• While not mandatory, designers could consider design options with word variations on “PASS Summit”, “PASS Summit 2011”, “PASS Summit Unite”, “PASS Summit Unite 2011” or “PASS Summit 2011 Unite”.
• While ideally we could connote the concepts of sharing and networking, we do not want any cliché images such as shaking hands. Also, our core audience does not connect with the blue-suit executive – we are the ones that get the job done.
• Prefer to stay away from a “crest” visual as we’ve done this for the past 3 years – but open if your crest design is stupendous.