Your Mapper is an online news organization that empowers people to obtain and load information in their home town, and make it available to their neighbors on a map. We provide the tools to citizens that make this happen.
The core idea behind Your Mapper is to create an easy way to make public information that has long been locked up in internal government databases, and present it to the world in a way that is visually appealing, easy to understand, and local. All data is shown on interactive online google maps.
Examples of these kinds of datasets would be crime, restaurant health reviews, traffic accidents, building permits, sex offender registries, property values, and pollution sources, or anything that can be linked to a physical address or location. The scope of the project is national, with international potential.
More details and info about the project: http://www.netsquared.org/2008/conf…our-mapper
Site will be eventually be located at http://www.yourmapper.com but there is currently no website. The logo is kind of the jumping off point for the site.
- Needs to look good on the web
- 1-3 colors
- some standalone part that can drop the text 'Your Mapper' and still convey something (so like a letter, an icon, etc)
- Note the company is called Your Mapper not YourMapper
- A simple well executed idea is better than a complicated or busy image.
- subtle but not boring
- bold but not tacky or crass
- Keywords: open, friendly, collaborative, news, info, maps, location, knowledge, neighborhood, local, empowering
- Key concepts: location, mapping, you are here
- too many colors
- old fashioned
- boring, tacky, crass
- no need for .com in the logo