Urban Mindfulness™, a new and growing organization, is seeking a logo for its website and promotional literature (i.e., business cards). UM seeks to help city dwellers reduce stress and live a values-driven life through the practice of mindfulness and meditation.
Last year, I launched an organization, blog, and website, Urban Mindfulness™, devoted to the cultivation of mindfulness and meditation in daily city life. Our goal is to help people develop a sense of peace, awareness, and purpose while living in chaotic, stressful urban environments. We provide free advice and supportive resources through blogging, handouts, and a calendar of related events. Please check out the website if you want more information about UM (http://www.UrbanMindfulness.org).
While mindfulness and meditation are often associated with Buddhism, we strive to be non-denominational. These practices are incorporated within many spiritual traditions, and you do not need to believe in Buddhism (or any other religion for that matter) in order to practice mindfulness and/or meditation.
In terms of the logo, I'm looking for something that features the name prominently with a smaller graphic element. The logo must balance a gritty urban vibe with something soothing. For example, I've been using the font ITC Portago in green against a "dirty" background to communicate this feel (it's the best that a psychologist like me could do with iWeb). Our motto might also help guide you: "Urban Mindfulness™: Finding Peace in the Middle of It All".
The logo will be featured prominently on the top of each page of the website. It also might be used periodically in promotional literature, like a business card.
In terms of formatting, I don't know much about the options, but I guess that "vector formatting" is the most preferred, standard, and versatile? If so, then please make it available in this format.
- Color wise, I use green, gray, orange, black, and silver, and maroon for the website. It might be wise to stay within these colors.
- If possible, I'd like for the logo to look good against both a dark background (like the header section of the website) and a white one.
- The name should be easy to read (font-wise) with the ™ symbol.
- Anything too "green". The website is not about green living; it's about finding peace and stillness while engaged with living in a busy city. A nature-oriented graphic might convey this feeling, but be careful.
- Anything "cartoony".
- Anything too Buddhist. Because UM is nondenominational, I don't want to alienate people with mandalas, meditating buddhas, and the like. A lotus flower might be okay, but again be careful.