I've built a game that teaches people how to read katakana and hiragana. It works well, and I've tried making it look nice, but I'm a programmer, so I can either make it look crap or shite. Preferably, I'd like it looking ace. Will this be your first iPhone app design?
Design the 480 x 160 screen with 4 states:
State 1) Game first loads and it doesn't show and answer feedback.
State 2) Player has put in an incorrect answer, and the correct answer is shown as feedback (pictured in my screenshot)
State 3) Player has put in a correct answer - game should show 'Yes' or something to indicate the player entered the correct kana.
State 4) the user has entered the correct answer, and also leveled up. I mentioned I'm currently using a yellow star on the left to indicate this.
See the screenshot at http://ims.co.nz/default.png which shows state 2, the incorrect state
There will likely be future work awarded (game icon and loading screen + next game) to the designer who wins this competition.
Please read the brief and see my comment(s) below to get an understanding of how the game works. If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch I can supply you with a copy of the game.
I need a complete redesign to make this game look awesome. You can see a copy of my work in progress here: screenshot
Here's the shown game features
- The keyboard is fixed. We can't change those. This leaves a workable area of 480x160 pixels- Under the spotlight is katakana symbol, in bold black. This is shown to the player. They need to use the keyboard to type in the english translation of this katakana. After they press return, the result is shown and the textbox is cleared
- If they get the answer incorrect, then the correct translation is shown on the right in a red background (or something to indicate the answer is wrong). I also show what the user typed. I've considered turning this in to a button which shows the stats/clues page (see below)
- If they get the answer correct, then the word Yes! is shown, perhaps with a green background.
- The current level and score are shown at the top.
- In the top right there's a button that offers to start a new game. This isn't very clear at the moment. Clicking the button shows a standard iphone overlay which I don't need a design for.
- In the top left, the % complete is shown, which also doubles as a button to show stats. This also isn't very clear at the moment. The stats are shown on a new screen, which I don't need a design for. At first, this button also had a word next to it. I tried switching between 'Progress', 'Stats', and 'Learnt', and in the end I removed the words. If you want to put one in again, that would be fine.
- At the moment, when the player level's up, I show a big yellow star with the words 'Level Up!' in the empty space in the left.That's all there is to the play surface of the game. Feel free to start from a blank slate, and design it however you like. Alpha channel pngs are all good if you'd like to use those.
- Possibly keep the katakana symbol and the textbox in the center screen (horizontally), as that will be the main point of focus. I've tried moving it to different positions, and it makes game play a little awkward.
- I'd like for each element (asset?) of the screen design to be delivered as independent png's that I can slightly tweak (reposition, resize etc) in fireworks - preferably with layers? I'm a fireworks newb, but I can do the basic resizing, moving, rotating etc.