iThanh is an online social hub for posting questions and getting answers. The targeted audiences will be students, professionals, hobbyists, and designers. Our functionalities and usage will be much similar to the site http://www.stackoverflow.com part of stackexchange (except their design), which can be seen as the most active Q&A website now.
The target audience will be students, professionals, hobbyists, and designers. These audience will most likely use the website to search for keywords, post the questions, and eventually share their questions via Facebook so that their family & friends can contribute to our Q&A community.
We want our business to have a modern, cool, "creative" and web 2.0 feeling. We will also be 100% ads-free to keep the site clean. What we mean in "creative" is that, you can greatly improve over the boring and old-style designs of typical Q&A sites. Be something different!
I know it can be challenging, but I believe you can do it!
We are a big fan of minimalism design style because it will simply draw attention to important parts without any unnecessary texts or boxes.
For a questions / answers site, we believe that too much texts is a common problem. Thus, minimalist type design is suitable.
What We Want:
• Modern and professional.
• Simple yet informative
• "Web 2.0" style (e.g. bold titles, non-cluttered, use of shadows / gradients, etc)
• Different / Creative.
• Choice of colors is crucial.
What We Don't Want:
• Too much text or too many images making it clunky and slow to load
• Boring or old style designs
Please don't waste everyone's time and copy designs from templatemonster or any other website. We only want unique designs and true designers!
There may be the opportunity for further work for the winning designer - make us fall in love with your design!
The home page should have the following:
• Top links with these titles: Log-in (can be a drop down), FAQ, About, Contact
• A search box
• Logo (you can use text logo "ithanh.com" for now)
• A navigation menu with these titles: Questions, Tags, Users, Ask Question
• Large font text
• The body content includes list of most popular questions.
• Each question should have a prominent title. Each question should show the tags associated with it. Each question should display its statistic info: how many views, how many answers, how many votes. Each question should display the user (with his / her thumbnail photo) who asks the question. (please see http://www.stackoverflow.com for quick reference)
• Footer can include some basic links to Facebook and Twitter for now.
From this homepage, we will then use the general layout & button / header / colors/ icons/ text styles as website's theme.
Unfortunately, we have no favorite designs among those Questions & Answers current sites. Their content are really good, especially stackoverflow.com, but not their design. In other general sites, we love the following designs:
http://www.tumblr.com/ - very ELEGANT. The log-in screen is simply awesome. Not related to our website function, but you get the idea.
http://www.thememagazine.com/ - another well-themed website, beautiful menu
http://clearleft.com/ - minimalist, very elegant navigation menu
http://us.battle.net/en/ - super-cool. I love the top right log-in menu, and the search box.
http://www.chamainc.com/ - another minimalist. Looks comfortable, even with lots of texts.
http://getfinch.com/ - modern and clean design.
http://stackoverflow.com/ - this is my favorite Question & Answer site, the functionality is pretty much what we want for our site too, but please try not to get influence from their design because honestly, their design is lame.