Simple, clean and modern site for an actuarial consulting firm. Professional, with (restrained) colour to add interest.
Feedback will be given to all entries.
Accepted File Formats:
Layered Formats (.psd or .tiff); PSD file
What is required
Redesign of site at: http://tinyurl.com/2ld832
This tinyurl is used only to prevent the company name coming up on search engines.
The current live site can be seen by removing the "test/index.php" in the url once you are redirected from tinyurl.
The aim of this contest is to get submissions for each of:
- A home page, either:
i. Using the current page as a broad layout template in so far as it has the header, then the space in the middle with an introductory banner and text, and then the three sections below.
ii. Include the three elements at the bottom of the page, but moving them and changing the design more significantly.
- A content page, please use the Services - Legal page from the tinyurl for the contents that should be used in the content page designsContestants are welcome to submit entries for either, or both, pages. Two prizes are on offer for the best two submissions, though we will most likely select one home page and one content page to determine the placings. It is not necessarily the case that a home page design will receive the first prize. One designer could win both prizes.
Actuarial work involves mathematics, finance, demography and statistics. Actuaries work in areas such as insurance and superannuation. Details are available at the url above. Clients are almost exclusively lawyers and companies in the financial sector, not individuals.
The overall message should be solid, efficient, precise, fairly conservative (relative to say a web development firm) though modern. Something very simple, clean and professional, with a restrained use of colour to add interest.
Ignore the current logo. The logo that should be used is the winner of our previous contest: http://contests.sitepoint.com/contests/4055
The current colours of the website and the colours of the logo may be changed, but any use of colour should be fairly restrained. A link to a zip file containing AI copies of the logo options is at the bottom of the tinyurl page, to enable designers to change the logo's colours.
Before making a payment to the winning designer, we will require an invoice.
I will be checking entries every day, and will provide feedback to all entries.
The main things we will be looking for are:
- A simple clean layout, allowing the content to come through without distraction
- Predominantly white background, with a use of restrained colours to add interest
- Clear delineation and placement of sections.
- No obvious mathematical or finance symbolism
- No photographs of business people looking purposefully or anything like that.
- Design should be for 1024 screen width, with the content of the page being about 950 wide. Preference will probably be given to non-web-2.0 designs. However subtle web-2.0 elements to the design would be acceptable, but with more understated colours/icons than usual.
The following are some sites I like, which contain design elements appropriate to our site. However please use these as a guide only, do not do anything too similar.
The use of white space, and clean delineation of the different elements.
Nice separation of the different articles and sections. Colour to add interest.
Effective use of white space. Nice use of colour for interest. Though I do not like the use of both main and subnavigation down the left hand side.
The use of colour is really good.
This illustrates a layout style with the consistent horizontal bands that stretch across the page, while still having the content centered on the page, and minimal images. It uses colour well.